Appointed by Iliad Mason Llp, we provided structural and civil design for the redevelopment of a grade 2* listed structure, the former watch making factory on Albany Road in Prescot, Liverpool, into 54 extra care apartments, with an additional 16 extra care bungalows.
The historic structure had been repurposed several times over the years as Army barracks, printworks, and a gym, although had also undergone some structural movement over time.
Our designs needed to be sympathetic to stabilise the cast iron structure by providing steel bracing and remedial details that could ultimately be removed without any detriment to the listed elements.
No intrusive holes or historic elements within the building were drilled in the process, aiding the conservation effort of the structure which is the last of its kind in the world having been built in 1889, a copy of a factory in Illinois USA.
Our solutions also included SUDS methods to reduce surface water discharge to the public network by implementing swales to the public spaces.